Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 15:00:09 +0000
From:      setantae <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: home pc use
References:  <20011119220243.A268@prayforwind.com> <009a01c171a9$4eedbee0$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <20011120023948.A92409@xor.obsecurity.org> <00df01c171b0$2a938be0$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <20011120105642.GA75918@rhadamanth> <012d01c171b6$96b5adc0$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <20011120114236.GA76431@rhadamanth> <005f01c171bf$c4d06b10$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <20011120131850.GA77414@rhadamanth> <001f01c171cf$430e8ac0$0a00000a@atkielski.com>

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 03:25:37PM +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Ceri writes:
>
> > Who said anything about cloning Windows ?
>
> I did.  A realistic GUI environment for me would have to be a virtual clone of
> Windows, because virtually all the applications I use are Windows-only
> applications.

We are talking about window managers.  Window managers don't run applications.
It's perfectly possible to run applications such as Netscape without a
window manager.  You are in the wrong argument.

This is not the someotheroperatingsystem-questions@FreeBSD.org list.

> > You then proceeded to ask what portmap was.
> > You were amazed that one needs a different kernel
> > to enable SMP.  You never heard of the rehash
> > command in csh.
>
> Yes.  So?

This was intended to be taken along with the sentence below.

> > These are not FreeBSD specific problems.
>
> They are characteristic of UNIX, or of some other OSes in isolation
> (multiprocessor support).

Yes, and you never heard of them, therefore your statement (which I include
below, since you snipped it) make no sense.

> It is thus very easy and valid to make "sweeping comments"
> concerning UNIX, whether or not one happens to be one of the world's five
> greatest experts on the system.

> > All of these are things that one could expect
> > from someone with only 3 weeks experience of an
> > OS, but I honestly think that you would benefit
> > from doing some background reading.
>
> Thank you for your suggestion.
>
> I was hoping that you might offer more information on FreeBSD, instead of your
> armchair evaluation of my competence in IT.

I evaluated your competence with FreeBSD.  Nothing more.

> If all responses to my questions
> and comments were similar, I should indeed be restricted to reading elsewhere to
> obtain the information I require.

You weren't looking for information in this thread.
You were stating that a gui environment on FreeBSD is no more stable than
Windows, when you only have three weeks experience with one window
manager on FreeBSD.  This is what I am raising objection to, and all I
have done is politely suggest that you get more experience of the
environment on which you are commenting.

I will, and have, answered actual questions from yourself on this list.
Others will do the same.

> > You come here and basically say ``All window
> > managers suck.''
>
> In a world dominated by Microsoft Windows, any window manager that does not
> replicate Windows functionality effectively sucks, from the standpoint of the
> average end user.  This may not be a pleasant thought, but it is a hard reality.
> I may not like everything about Windows, but I do accept that it is the standard
> against which all other window systems must be measured.
>
> > I suggest a window manager that doesn't suck,
> > and you say ``I've had my fill''.
>
> I heard great things about KDE, too, but it turned out to be a disappointment.
> So did the default window manager.  I can't devote my life to trying to make
> UNIX look like Windows.

Blackbox doesn't make FreeBSD look like Windows.  Not even in the vaguest sense.
I thought you were looking for a window manager that doesn't crash.
If I'd realised you were looking for one that made FreeBSD look like Windows,
I'd have suggested d:\winnt\setup.exe (or whatever).

Even if it did look like Windows, it wouldn't run (most of) the applications
you need. But then neither would a Mac.
If you change operating system then you need to realise and accept that you'll
be changing the way you do some things.

> > If you seriously wish to use FreeBSD in a
> > production environment, then it's even more
> > important that you familiarise yourself with
> > the system : how to upgrade it, how to install
> > new software, how to get the sources, how it is
> > different from other systems, how it is similar
> > to other systems.  You don't seem prepared to
> > do this.
>
> That's what I'm doing, although I've discovered that this list, at least, is
> nearly useless for that purpose.

You shouldn't be using this list for that purpose.
You should be using newbies@FreeBSD.org.

> One need only read your own post, and others
> like it, and distill the real, useful information they contain, if any, to see
> how poorly this list fulfills its nominal role.

This is an argument. They rarely contain useful information, in my opinion.
If you want useful information, ask a question and don't make statements.

> > There is a handbook that a good body of people
> > have spent and so spend a considerable amount
> > of manhours writing.  I *know* that you haven't
> > taken the time to read it.
>
> I've read parts of it that are relevant to what I need to know.  It is not the
> best-written document I've ever seen, but the alternatives seem to be worse.

If you don't like the documentation, please feel free to join the Documentation
Project - Write patches for the bits you don't like and send-pr them.

Ceri

--
keep a mild groove on