Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 08:51:17 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Paul Jansen <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gnome 1.2 on FreeBSD?

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> If all I want is a window manager, then it is not necessarily
> "good news" that gnome automatically builds all those ports.
> All I am looking for is something a little nicer looking than
> twm, with multiple rooms (or whatever they'd be called in the
> land of gnome).  That does not mean I want to build every
> application which references any gnome library, just so the
> window manager can put all of those things in it's menus.
>
> I am not sure what a good solution would be, and whatever it
> is I imagine it would require a fair amount of work to sort
> out.  I'm just saying that "building everything" is not
> necessarily a GoodThing.

Catch is: Gnome REQUIRES all of those other ports in order to work.  If
you want something that doesn't require a zillion dependancies, you
might want to look into icewm or even the venerable fvwm.  Personally I
prefer windowmaker, it only requires a few of the very common shared
libraries (you really can't get around installing libxpm these days).

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org