Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2013 04:13:40 +0200
From:      Sabine Baer <baerks@t-online.de>
To:        grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: The future of USENET?

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 02:12:06PM -0400, grarpamp wrote:

[...]

> Back then you had to have brains to be on the net, now everyone is
> web 2.0, and they're satisfied with ridiculous web forums. Any
> brains today are all but forced to use them because the population
> is so slim anywhere else. Usenet has suffered its generational
> penalty.
>
> Usenet is still viable long term as a free/donation service, as is
> irc, if operators do not carry the binary groups. Its new hope lies
> with the opensource, hackerspace, anonymous, and related communities
> of all sorts.

No. I have contacts to the german Pirate Party. They have an own
Newsserver where Mails an forum entries are mirrored.
(https://github.com/Shirk/SynFU/blob/master/doc/_static/intro.rst
http://wiki.piratenpartei.de/Syncom)

They mostly communicate - if not using www-2.0 shit - over Mailing
Lists. They have different mailreader and no netiquette, they write as
their program will do, html of course and attachments of different
kind.  I don't know how many use the news server but for sure they are
very few.

> As a giant distributed mailing list, it's an awesome service that
> these communities really should look at more closely.

They don't. I thought they should see usenet as best medium for a
free, worldwide, non censored and not destroyable communication.
But they are Nerds, they use facebook, twitter, google+, write to
mailing lists, mostly using "webmail services" (I think so), own
forums and write blogs. Oh, and etherpads and videos on youtube. It's
all diversified, atomized, very difficult to find.

But - they are mobile people and when I began 'advertizing' usenet or
nntp, they asked if they can reach it with ervery computer from
everywhere. Well, i couldn;t answer that, it is a real negativum of
today's usenet.

I didn't give up and created a newsgroup free.de.thalassa, but without
success. It's on nntp.aioe.org and news.eternal-september.org and
since a few days on news.individual.net (without the older postings).

No, those civil rights activists are unable to understand the benefits
of usenet or nntp in general. They prefere the services of private
companies which ideed are more colourful and have more gimmicks.

> Its future is up to you... will you run a server and list it as
> a communication method (even primary) for your project, or not?
> Will you donate a server to the public, or not?

I tried to install (very easy under FreeBSD) an configure (not easy at
all) an INN but I gave up. No, that's not trivial, I am using
news.individual.net, a very fine server (10,- EUR a year) an have
accounts at nntp.aioe.org and news.eternal-september.org.

But a server doesn't generate traffic if there's a lack of people
using it.

Sorry for my bad English,

Sabine, who didn't find yet something better than NNTP

--
Der Schoepfer schoepft die Zeit aus dem unendlichen Quell des Nichts.
Mensch befoerdert seine Zeit wieder dorthin.