Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2001 11:34:44 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Christian Chen <oistrakh@earthlink.net>
Cc:        founder.fang@philips.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: my i810 card doesn't work

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 08:27:34PM -0700, Christian Chen wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Apr 2001 founder.fang@philips.com wrote:
>
>> i use 4.2 release,my display card is i810,4.2 release does not
>> contain XFree86 4.0, so i download source for XFree86 4.02,after
>> compile and install,i use XF86Setup,but failed.it told me can not
>> start X.what's the matter? i choose some X Server(VGA SVGA...)
>> when i install my system,shall i remove them before i install
>> XFree86 4.02 ?
>
> XFree86 3.x and 4.x use differing XF86Config file formats, as well as
> a different format for the server files. You should uninstall XFree86 3.x
> first before installing XFree86 4.x
>
> Christian Chen

The i810 is a piece of trash... I know this because I use one. Since it
is supported in XFree86 4.x only on Linux at this time, you are
restricted to XFree86 4.0.1 on FreeBSD, since this version has
patchfiles which correct the AGP code. In 4.0.2, the driver was totally
restructured, and the port maintainer has removed the old patchfiles.
Consequently, while the i810 will work in 4.0.2-4.0.3, switching
consoles and then switching back will crash your X server, and it won't
work properly until you reboot.

If you want a fully-functional XFree86 install for your FreeBSD box,
find an old copy of the ports tree (the one in 4.2-RELEASE works fine)
with XFree86 4.0.1, and build it from there. Downloading the source from
xfree86.org will not work, unless you intend to fix the i810 driver.

One more thing... XF86Setup is 3.3.x-only. You need to either write the
config file by hand, or use xf86config to build a skeleton for you.

I imagine that the generic SVGA server will work for the i810, but
somehow, dual-head at 640x480x8bpp per screen seems a little pointless.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx