Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 04:50:19 +0000
From:      Guilherme Oliveira <guilherme@nortenet.pt>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Bug ? Building kernel/world error on Cyrix

Hi !

I'm having serious problems building kernel or world in my Cyrix 200MHZ.

Booting '4.5-RELEASE #0' it detects my processor as being Cyrix 6x86MX
(167.05-MHz 686-class CPU), that I think it's wrong ('6x86' ?!?!) and
maybe this is the origin for all my problems.

I've cvsup'd and builded freebsd all the time without problem until +-
4.5 RELEASE.
I've tried building GENERIC with the same result.

I have tried building world+kernel with 'CPUTYPE=i686' in make.conf and
'cpu I686_CPU' (as allways did) in kernel but it gives me error in:

===> portal
@ -> /usr/src/sys
machine -> /usr/src/sys/i386/include
perl @/kern/vnode_if.pl -h @/kern/vnode_if.src
Internal error at @/kern/vnode_if.pl line 248, <SRC> chunk 472.
*** Error code 255
Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/portal.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SARPA.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

I have tried building world+kernel with 'CPUTYPE=i586' in make.conf and
'cpu I586_CPU' in kernel but it gives me error in:

/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include  -c /usr/src/bin/sh/error.c
cc -O -pipe -march=pentium -DSHELL -I. -I/usr/src/bin/sh -Wall
-Wformat   -I/usr
/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include  -c /usr/src/bin/sh/eval.c
{standard input}: cc: Assembler messages:
Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11{standard
input}:0:
Warning: *** Error code 1
end of file not at end of a line; newline inserted
Stop in /usr/src/bin/sh.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/src/bin.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/src.
bash-2.05# {standard input}:1107: Error: unbalanced parenthesis in
operand 2.

My partially dmesg:

Copyright (c) 1992-2002 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights
reserved.
FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE #0: Mon Feb 11 05:52:10 WET 2002
    root@sarpa.garpa:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SARPA
Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
CPU: Cyrix 6x86MX (167.05-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "CyrixInstead"  Id = 0x600  Stepping = 0  DIR=0x0452
  Features=0x80a135<FPU,DE,TSC,MSR,CX8,PGE,CMOV,MMX>
real memory  = 134217728 (131072K bytes)
avail memory = 127442944 (124456K bytes)
Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xc0327000.
md0: Malloc disk
Using $PIR table, 5 entries at 0xc00fdb80
apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
apm: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2
npx0: <math processor> on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
pcib0: <Host to PCI bridge> on motherboard
pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
pcib1: <PCI to PCI bridge (vendor=1106 device=8597)> at device 1.0 on
pci0
pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1
pci1: <ATI model 4c42 graphics accelerator> at 5.0 irq 11
isab0: <VIA 82C586 PCI-ISA bridge> at device 7.0 on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
atapci0: <VIA 82C586 ATA33 controller> port 0xe000-0xe00f at device 7.1
on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
uhci0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xe400-0xe41f irq 10 at device
7.2 on pci0
usb0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
chip1: <VIA 82C586B ACPI interface> at device 7.3 on pci0

My kernel configuration:

#
# GENERIC -- Generic kernel configuration file for FreeBSD/i386
#
# For more information on this file, please read the handbook section on
# Kernel Configuration Files:
#
#    http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html
#
# The handbook is also available locally in /usr/share/doc/handbook
# if you've installed the doc distribution, otherwise always see the
# FreeBSD World Wide Web server (http://www.FreeBSD.org/) for the
# latest information.
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is also present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you
are
# in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in
LINT.
#
# $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.246.2.35 2001/09/27 17:43:06
alfred Exp $

machine         i386
cpu             I586_CPU                # aka Pentium Pro(tm)
ident           SARPA
maxusers        0

options         MATH_EMULATE            #Support for x87 emulation
options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         FFS_ROOT                #FFS usable as root device [keep
this!]
options         SOFTUPDATES             #Enable FFS soft updates support
options         UFS_DIRHASH
options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         NTFS                    #NT File System
options         CD9660                  #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         CD9660_ROOT             #CD-ROM usable as root, CD9660
required
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         COMPAT_43               #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
THIS!]
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console
options         SYSVSHM                 #SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 #SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 #SYSV-style semaphores
options         P1003_1B                #Posix P1003_1B real-time
extensions
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev

# PicoBSD
#options        MFS                     #Memory Filesystem
#pseudo-device   vn                     #Vnode driver
#options         MD_ROOT                #MD is a potential root device

device          isa
device          pci

# Floppy drives
device          fdc0    at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device          fd0     at fdc0 drive 0

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device          atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
device          atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
device          psm0    at atkbdc? irq 12
options         ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP       # specify the built-in keymap
makeoptions     ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP="pt.iso.acc"

# If you have a two button mouse, you may want to add the following
option
# to use the right button of the mouse to paste text.
#options         SC_TWOBUTTON_MOUSE

device          vga0    at isa?
options         SC_DFLT_FONT            # compile font in
makeoptions     SC_DFLT_FONT=iso

# The following options will let you change the default colors of
syscons.
options         SC_NORM_ATTR="(FG_GREEN|BG_BLACK)"
options         SC_NORM_REV_ATTR="(FG_YELLOW|BG_GREEN)"
options         SC_KERNEL_CONS_ATTR="(FG_RED|BG_BLACK)"
options         SC_KERNEL_CONS_REV_ATTR="(FG_BLACK|BG_RED)"

# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device   splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc0     at isa? flags 0x100

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device          npx0    at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

# Power management support (see LINT for more options)
device          apm

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
#device         card
#device         pcic0   at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000
#device         pcic1   at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e2 iomem 0xd4000 disable
#options         PCIC_RESUME_RESET       # reset after resume

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
options         CONSPEED=115200         # speed for serial console

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
#device         plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these
NICs!
device          miibus          # MII bus support
device          rl              # RealTek 8129/8139

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocate.
pseudo-device   loop            # Network loopback
pseudo-device   ether           # Ethernet support
pseudo-device   ppp     1       # Kernel PPP
pseudo-device   tun             # Packet tunnel.
pseudo-device   pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
pseudo-device   md              # Memory "disks"
options         PPP_BSDCOMP             #PPP BSD-compress support
options         PPP_DEFLATE             #PPP zlib/deflate/gzip support
options         RANDOM_IP_ID
options         TCP_DROP_SYNFIN         #drop TCP packets with SYN+FIN
options         ICMP_BANDLIM

# Firewall
#options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
#options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #print dropped packets
#options         IPDIVERT                #divert sockets
#options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100    #limit verbosity

# Sound card
device          pcm

# USB support
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
device          ugen            # Generic
#device         uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
#device         ukbd            # Keyboard
#device         ulpt            # Printer
#device         umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus
and da
device          ums             # Mouse
#device         uscanner        # Scanners
#device         urio            # Diamond Rio MP3 Player
# USB Ethernet, requires mii
#device         aue             # ADMtek USB ethernet
#device         cue             # CATC USB ethernet
#device         kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet

--
mailto:guilherme@nortenet.pt || http://guilherme.host-valley.com/