Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 22:29:05 +0930
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
To:        "oZZ!!!" <osa@etrust.ru>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sb_reset_dsp failed

You probably have a plug and pray sound card.

When you build a new kernel you need to reactivate the PnP configuration
by booting with "-c" and setting the pnp options for your card.

You'll need the following in your kernel for this to work:

options         USERCONFIG              # Boot -c editor
controller      pnp0                    # Enable PnP support in the kernel

These changes are then stored in the kernel (after successfull boot [as
this is done in /etc/rc with "dset -q"]) so that you dont need to redo it
on subsequent boots.

I got annoyed by this and created a /kernel.config file to do it on every
boot so I didn't have to bother when I built a new kernel.

You will also need the following option in your kernel for this to work:

options         USERCONFIG_BOOT         # Imply -c and parse info area

Note that if /kernel.config doesn't exist it wont boot without you
choosing an option from the menu that comes up... so you probably want
to copy /kernel.config to /kernel.old.config so you can boot /kernel.old
too without seeing this menu.

Also note that your kernel will be written to on every boot!!

This may not be what you want as there may be a greater chance of loosing
your kernel.

Here's my /kernel.config (for a Creative Labs PnP Sound Blaster 16 with a
Vibra16C chip):

localhost: {17} cat /kernel.config
USERCONFIG
pnp 1 0 os enable irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5 port0 0x220 port1 0x330 port2 0x388
quit
localhost: {18}

I'm guess that you were able to boot the other time as you may have just
booted another OS (Win95 ?) which has activated the card ??  - does your
machine have FreeBSD and another OS on it ?

"oZZ!!!" wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, oZZ!!! wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> > I use FreeBSD-3.0-BETA-ELF with ELF-kernel.
> > Yestarday, after cvsuped my system, i make world correctly & then
> > recompile kernel.
> > After reboot...
> > # dmesg
> > sb_reset_dsp failed
> > sb0 not found at 0x220
> > sb_reset_dsp failed
> > sbxvi0 not found
> > sbmidi not found at 0x330
> >
> > What does it mean?
> > Some changes in kernel?
>
> Sorry. I today (14.10.1998, 01:10 MSD) cvsuped my souces & then recompile
> my kernel. Sound system work OK!
> Rgdz,
> oZZ,
> osa@etrust.ru

|Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au|
"If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved
quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum of some
larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the
question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our
Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."
 E. P. Tryon   from "Nature" Vol.246 Dec.14, 1973