Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 20:18:42 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, ken@stox.pr.mcs.net
Subject:   Re: Memory speed of P6-200 (256k)

>> Er, no, fast copying reduces buffer cache overheads.  Buffer cache
>> overheads are almost large enough to significantly reduce the advantages
>> of busmastering DMA over (slow) PIO.
>
>ie. the fast copyin/out code will make busmaster devices faster too? 8)

Yes, that was the original motivation for speeding up copyout() and
copyin().  Satoshi had lots of disk bandwidth (40MB/sec?) from multiple
controllers but couldn't use it all because copying alone was limited
to 40MB/sec.  He speeded it up to 70+MB/sec on a P5-Triton system by
using the FPU, and I speeded it up a few more MB/sec by fine tuning.
The dd speeds are almost twice as large since the input buffer is small
enough to stay in the P5's L1 data cache.

Bruce