Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:15:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        gljohns@bellsouth.net (Glenn Johnson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to get xntpd to work

Glenn Johnson wrote,
> I am trying to set up time synchronization on 5 machines. What I want
> to do is have one machine, call it host0, sync to a public ntp server
> and have the other four machines, host{1,2,3,4} sync to the local xntpd
> server. I have read the xntpd(8) and searched the archives but can't get
> it.
[snip]

I do something similar. I have one machine that polls several public
NTP servers a few times a day. For local timekeeping, I run timed on
machines. The machine doing the NTP polling, the timed master, runs,
'timed -F localhost', and most of the others just run 'timed' with no
args.

xntpd for local machines (on one LAN) seems like it might be overkill
when timed and similar options are available.

Just my $0.02.