Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:23:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tim Zingelman <zingelman@fnal.gov>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   grep in /etc/security

On several of our 4.3-RELEASE machines, we have been getting the following
in the security check output:

  x.y.z login failures:
  Binary file (standard input) matches

I tracked this down to the output from this:

catmsgs() {
        find $LOG -name 'messages.*' -mtime -2 |
            sort -t. -r -n +1 -2 |
            xargs zcat -f
        [ -f $LOG/messages ] && cat $LOG/messages
}

inside /etc/security, sometimes having embedded nulls.

so later this:

n=$(catmsgs | grep -i "^$yesterday.*login failure" | tee /dev/stderr | wc -l)

returns "Binary file (standard input) matches" instead of the matches.

Adding -a to the grep, returns the expected matches.

Has anyone else seen this?  Should I submit a PR, or is there a good
reason not to use 'grep -ai' here?

 - Tim <Zingelman@fnal.gov>