Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 01:27:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package Vulnerability scanner (CVS commit: pkgsrc (fwd))

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Roman Shterenzon wrote:

> I can build a perl script which will:
> 1) download advisories
> 2) pgp check them
> 3) check the a)pkg version (if fixed in later version) b)install date of
> a package (if fixed only in ports) vs. the "fixed" date in the advisory.
> 4) optional - delete and install newer version.

Hmm. Thats an interesting idea - if we use a consistent description format
in the advisory (and upload them in a timely manner to a repository -
which will happen now that I have access to the FTP site) then the scanner
can be essentially self-updating.

I actually haven't looked at the NetBSD implementation I forwarded, but I
think it's just a static database of vulnerable packages which must be
manually updated on the ftp site.

With the new package versioning system, each security fix will cause a
version update of the package version number, making detection of
vulnerable versions easy.

Upgrading the package is not so easy when it has dependencies - this is a
problem which we've wanted someone to come along and solve for ages now,
but if you want to have a crack at it it would also be great.

Thanks for your offer of help!

Kris