Date:      Fri, 08 Jun 2001 12:00:56 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        DougB@DougBarton.net, portmgr@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pkg-comment && pkg-descr && distinfo

Will Andrews wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 12:20:35AM +0300, Maxim Sobolev (sobomax@mail-in.net) wrote:
> > I mean distclean.sh script that lives in the ports/Tools/scripts.
> >
> > For example on my machine (p133 notebook) invoking
> > `make -V DISTFILES' for a port with no dependencies takes
> > 0.6s of wall clock, while on a one that uses bsd.python.mk
> > this time increases to 1.7s. As you can easily even in the best
> > case invoking make for each of 5,000 ports will take minimum
> > 5,000 * 0.6 = 3,000s, that is almost a hour, while now you can
> > parse all distinfos for as low as 2 minutes on moderately slow
> > IDE drive.
>
> Yeah...
>
> > If my memory serves, either peter or jdp told that such
> > saving isn't really important, and as long as they are our
> > cvs meisters we could trust their opinion.
>
> What do the cvs meisters have to do with this?

They are responsible for a health of our cvs repo, and probably know better whether the
inodes bloat is worth addessing or not. If you really want to save some space convince
obrien to remove gcc.295 gdb.291 libio.295 libobjc.295 libstdc++.295 from src/contrib -
that will easily save you about 50MB of disk space and huge number of inodes. ;)

-Maxim