Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:25:10 +0200
From:      "Michael Nottebrock" <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        "Ben Smithurst" <ben@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Michael Bryan" <fbsd-secure@ursine.com>, <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Security Announcements?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Smithurst" <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To: "Michael Nottebrock" <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc: "Michael Bryan" <fbsd-secure@ursine.com>;
<freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 10:50 PM

> Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>
> > I agree that there is need for improvement. Let's just see what
the
> > other OS's security people are doing about the recent ftpd-issue:
> >
> > NetBSD:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/security/advisories/NetBSD-SA2000
> > -018.txt.asc
> > OpenBSD:

ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/2.8/common/025_glob.patch
> > FreeBSD: Absolutely nothing
>
> I'm pretty sure that's complete and utter bollocks, unless I'm
> misunderstanding the issue, or thinking of another ftpd-issue.

The way you are quoting me, indeed it would be. But, as can be clearly
seen by looking at the topic of this thread, I was talking about the
missing  _announcements_, not about the fixes itself. And before you
tell me to, yes, I did read the actual CERT-advisory, which also
contained the 'official' statement from FreeBSD, which does not
mention ANY correction dates.

> > It certainly is starting to irritate people running
> > 4.2-Release.
>
> Well if you want the latest security fixes you shouldn't be running
> -release anyway, that's that the -stable branch is for.

To quote http://www.freebsd.org/security/#adv:

"The FreeBSD Security Officers provide security advisories for the
following releases of FreeBSD:

    - The most recent official release of FreeBSD."

and:

"At this time, security advisories are being released for:
- FreeBSD 3.5.1-STABLE
- FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE
- FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE "

Again, I am not saying that nothing is done, just that the others are
obviously doing it (a lot) quicker.

Greetings,

Michael Nottebrock