Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:59:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      <jfesler@gigo.com>
To:        Mark Conway Wirt <mark@intrepid.net>
Cc:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail melissa blocker

> I've wondered about this -- we use procmail.  If there any performance
> hit to use filters in the .procmailrc file?

In a nutshell, yes.  The question is, is it an acceptable performance hit?

Keep your rules list fairly short.  A rule set of 500 lines or so takes
about 10 seconds on a ppro 180.  [Don't ask how I know ;-)]. That sample
was doing full body text searches.

My "normal" procmail file has <50 lines in it, and mostly subject
filtering only.  Local delivery is quite fast.

Best I can suggest, is if you are considering doing this globally, is to
go ahead and do it - and watch the system for a little while.  If you kept
historical data on your server's load, it would be easier to evaluate real
performance penalties.  Either way, you can wing it and see what happens -
and back it out pretty easily and quickly otherwise.

[If you aren't keeping historical data.. reconsider!.  MRTG is handy at
recording anything that can be put to numbers.  I track messages incoming,
messages outgoing, mail queue length (in terms of queue entries and
recipients both), and uptime..  It's REALLY nice to use for historical
data and for planning.]