Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:18:58 -0600
From:      Joshua Lokken <joshua.lokken@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Native 5.3 port of OpenOffice?

On 04 Jan 2005 07:40:23 +0100, Peter N. M. Hansteen <peter@bgnett.no> wrote:
> Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> writes:
>
> > Yes, it's in the ports tree.  I don't think we've ever included a
> > linux openoffice port - are you perhaps thinking of staroffice, for
> > which a freebsd binary is not produced by sun?
>
> There's been quite a few reports of people having trouble getting past
> the java tools install which is needed to build the port. Unless that
> challence is interesting in itself, it's probably more convenient to
> download and install a binary package from somewhere in the general
> direction of http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.4/index.html

Java is a beast in that you need to download the necessary files
manually and that it takes awhile to build, however, it's not as
daunting as some would have you believe.  If you follow the
instructions, it'll build just fine.  I installed jdk14 and openoffice-
1.1.3 Sunday on a 4.11-STABLE machine in four hours.  It works
well so far, and I did not encounter any unforseen headaches.

--
Joshua Lokken
Open Source Advocate