Date:      Sat, 25 May 1996 19:33:57 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.hsc.fr>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org (hackers)
Subject:   Re: Adduser program in C

Stephen Fishert / writes:

> I would be doing it for the sole purpose of adding a lot of site specific
> things as I did under Linux (finally digged up a skeleton to the adduser
> program and modifying it).  I asked about it being in C because I know C
> and not Perl. :(.  I would rather just add my things to the current
> adduser program.

        Then I have trouble getting your point :-)  Even though the
        adduser script we already have is dedicated to FreeBSD, there is
        no need to make it more so.  The advantage of Perl is the easy
        updating of the code -- this makes it a lesser pain when things
        move around.  And adduser is *not* one of those things you'll run
        often enough to complain about execution speed or memory use.

        Another point is that C is sometimes too dense for such simple
        administration tools.  Not all people running FreeBSD will want
        to be forced to recompile adduser or use a separate configuration
        file.  Perl code is straightforward enough that you can directly
        modify for site specific purposes.

PS: I have in mind creating a series of X admin tools with Perl/Tk for FreeBSD.
The main advantages are: easy to maintain, and easy to adapt to other Unices
(i.e.: Linux, etc.)

--
| Philippe Regnauld |_______Herve Schauer Consultants_______| regnauld@hsc.fr |