Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 18:56:04 -0400
From:      "Martin Gignac" <mgignac@cinar.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   kppp and kfm conflict in KDE 1.1.2?

Sorry in advance if this question is really not appropriate for this list
(if it really isn't, which FreeBSD related list should I use?).

I am running 3.3-STABLE compile on October 18th in conjonction with KDE
1.1.2, compiled on the 19th from a cvsup'ed ports collection.

I have noticed that whenever I use kpp to create a dial-up connection, and
as soon as it is established, I cannot create terminal (kvt) windows
anymore, nor can I use the file manager (kfm). I jump to my text terminal
screen (ttys0 or something like that) gives me a KFM NOT RUNNING message.
Using top, I can confirm that kfm is still running though. As soon as I
close the kppp link, everything works well again.

I've tried clearing my KDE preferences and starting from scratch, but to no
avail. I've installed pre-built packages ftp'd from the FreeBSD FTP server,
but that still didn't work. The KDE bug reports don't seem to mention any
problem similar to this.

In was just wondering if other people using FreeBSD and KDE 1.1.2 have
noticed the same problem with kppp, kvt, and kfm, and if anybody has any
solution.

Thanks, and please let me know where I should post this should it be
innapropriate for this list.

-Martin