Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 2008 15:42:36 +0300
From:      Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru>
To:        Wesley Shields <wxs@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        paul+usenet@w6yx.stanford.edu, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: mechanism for local patches

* Wesley Shields (wxs@FreeBSD.org) wrote:

> I like you're idea here, but unfortunately directory names are not
> unique.  For example there is japanese/xchat and irc/xchat.  This means
> you'll have to go with the "dual-level" layout.

As it was suggested, there's UNIQUENAME, but I'd prefer
category/portname then. UNIQUENAME may be unintuitive sometimes.

> > Here's the draft patch for this functionality:
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~amdmi3/local-patchdir.patch
>
> Other than the above comment I like the patch and would love to see it
> implemented.  I think it can provide a benefit in situations where
> companies/people are doing things with ports that they do not want to
> contribute back.

That's always useful, I think I'll improve it and make it committed
after the freeze is over.

--
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3@amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3@jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru