Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 14:30:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Anthony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap-related problems

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Anthony Kimball wrote:

> Quoth Daniel C. Sobral on Thu, 15 April:
> :
> : FreeBSD executes ANSI C code reliably according to spec, as long as
> : there is enough memory in the system. If there isn't, FreeBSD
> : doesn't run reliably, much less executes any kind of code reliably.
> :
> I understand this.  I concieve the purpose of this thread as being
> a clear determination of the best known way to allow correctly
> written code to run reliably when, for reasons perhaps out of the
> control of the application, memory becomes overcommitted.

It might have been that, if on the second line of your original post you
didn't claim we were ANSI incompatible.  As it was, it sounded much like
chicken little yelling the sky was falling.  Your position now seems to
have changed quite a bit.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).