Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 14:18:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        "M.Elkholy" <elkholy@sc.soficom.com.eg>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org

On Sat, 15 Jun 1996, M.Elkholy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want FreeBSD mailing lists.
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> M.Elkholy

To subscribe to any of the FreeBSD mailing lists, you need to send mail
to the program that handles the lists, at majordomo@FreeBSD.org.  This
program doesn't read the subject line, so don't worry about that.  The
format of the commands to majordomo is one line per command.  A real
useful one is:

help

If you send help, it will send you (fairly rapidly) a nice little
informative writeup on how to use majordomo administered mailing lists.

Another command that you might find useful is "lists", which returns a
list of the different mailing lists that the majordomo you mailed to
handles.  You'd want to send this, so you can decide which of the lists
you might want to subscribe to.  If I can make a suggestion pointed at
users new to the FreeBSD mailing lists, they are sometimes very, very
active, and if you subscribe to several lists at once, you might be
shocked to find several hundred pieces of mail in your mailbox the next
day.  You probably want to be careful in how many you subscribe to, and
check your mail every day.

To actually subscribe to a list, well, a very good choice for someone new
to FreeBSD is the FreeBSD-questions list, and you'd subscribe as follows
(I took your mail address from this message, you might want to modify it
if you want the lists messages to go elsewhere):

subscribe FreeBSD-questions elkholy@sc.soficom.com.eg

If you send stuff at the end of your messages, you can expect majordomo
to get confused, and send you the "help" message automatically.  Avoid
this by making the last command "end", so majordomo doesn't continue
scanning for commands into your .sig.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |