Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:00:12 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Christian Burger <cj@raxel.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem installing ports - Newbie Alert!

Christian Burger wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've been trying to install ports from the FreeBSD 4.0 CD set, and have
> run into some problems:
>
> when i run 'make' from the ports directory /usr/ports/whatever/ (i did
> untar the ports.tgz file from the 1st cdrom) it says that it did not
> find whatever.tgz on the system and will try to get it from
> http://whatever.com. According to the documentation, when you have the
> cdrom mounted in /cdrom it will install from the cdrom. When i look at
> the Makefile it has a list of ftp or http servers, where it could try
> install from, but it does not reference the /cdrom anywhere? Do i need
> to issue a special flag to the 'make' command for it to go look in the
> /cdrom? I've also noticed that the actual package tar file name does not
> match the package tar file name on the cdrom, (XFree86-4.0.tgz on the
> cd, but in the Makefile it looks for X400.... for instance).

As of FreeBSD 4.0, tarballs (.tar.gz) files for the ports are no longer
shipped on the CD.  What you are looking at are the packages.  You can
install a package directly using pkg_add <package name> or
/stand/sysinstall.

If you want a port to get a package, simply start up your network
connection and type make, it will fetch the (hopefully) latest version
and build it from source.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org