Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 14:45:41 -0800
From:      Katherina Law <law@deepthought.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "'Rudy Gireyev'" <rgireyev@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Newbie on FreeBSD installation.

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Rudy Gireyev [SMTP:rgireyev@yahoo.com]
	Sent:	Thursday, November 20, 1997 9:41 AM
	To:	Katherina Law; freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
	Subject:	Re: Newbie on FreeBSD installation.

	Installing FreeBSD on an IBM ThinkPad 560 is totally doable.
	You will need a PAO package, which I admitedly forget is where.

	Thank you for your quick response!  What is a PAO package?

	  What is the best way to partition it?

	That of course is up to you. If we were completely impartial
then we
	would of course recommend 50/50 but since we are not we
recommend
	giving FreeBSD as much room as possible :-)
	Although, you will need around 300M for nice text based install.

	  50/50 for Win95 and
	> FreeBSD?  I didn't see the Megahertz card oin the compatiblity
list,
	do
	> you think that is OK?

	Do you plan to use FreeBSD on a network?

	It will be nice to be able to get it on the network, even for
the installation of it would be nice.

	  When I tried to install it, there is a few of
	> (Confl) something similar to that, I am not sure about the
wording
	now,
	> but does that mean conflict?  I am new to FreeBSD, can you
help me
	with
	> some advises?

	Hmmmm, this doesn't sound very clear. If you could send perhaps
a more
	detailed description of what exactly you downloaded, steps you
took to
	install and the messages you got. Otherwise, it's too hard to
guess :-)

	I understand now as I am doing it, it was for me to remove the
drives/devices that I don't have in one of the installation screen.
	I am been installing it all day long now, it's not as easy as it
seems.  Maybe I am not doing everything right.  I tried to install it
through ftp, and I happened to have an IBM pcmcia ethernet card that I
can use for now.  But it hangs a couple of time either half way through,
or sometimes when it started.  Quite a lot of work..  I am doing it now,
maybe if it'd fail again, I've better copy everything to the DOS
partition and install it from there...

	Thanks again!!
	Katherina

	Sent by Yahoo! Mail. Get your free e-mail at
http://mail.yahoo.com