Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 1996 21:40:39 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Booting from CD..?

I'm sitting here thinking about how we might make the CD even more
useful in the future, and in addition to the usual creature comforts
(which I'm also working on) I was wondering about the following
pie-in-the-sky ideas:

1. Boot direct from CD.  It's my understanding that certain SCSI
   adapters support this - any clues as to which ones do and how
   you might go about making them do it?  Naturally, we'd also have
   to figure out some way of getting boot blocks onto a CD.

2. Take advantage of Win95's `autolaunch' on CD insertion to do
   something clever.  Not exactly sure WHAT yet, but it's an idea.

I was also talking with Poul-H and Joerg about the idea of getting
access to additional command-line args, and how hard that would be.
In particular, I'd like to be able to do something like:

	boot -c aha0=0x330,10;ed0=0x300,10,0xd000

And be able to get at the argv[3] from userconfig, treating this as a
`run these commands and leave' sort of op.  This would be especially
useful from boot-from-{DOS,Windows} mode since you could have a nice
little Windows interface for `personalizing' the kernel before booting
it and you'd never have to mess with -c directly at all.

Thoughts?

						Jordan