Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:40:45 +0100
From:      Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
To:        Sean Bruno <sbruno@miralink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Something broke :-( Re: fwcontrol update

> > What does penguinix call firewire?
> >
> > (none):~ # dmesg | grep -i fire
> > (none):~ # dmesg | grep -i fw
> > (none):~ # dmesg | grep -i 1394
> > (none):~ # dmesg | grep -i link
> > audit: initializing netlink socket (disabled)
> > eth0: RXcsums[1] LinkChgREG[0] MIirq[0] ASF[0] Split[0] WireSpeed[1] TSOcap[1]
> >
> > (none):~ # man -k fire
> > fire: nothing appropriate.
> > (none):~ # man -k fw
> > fw: nothing appropriate.
> > (none):~ # man -k 1394
> > 1394: nothing appropriate.
> > (none):~ # man -k link
> > link: nothing appropriate.
> >

> I was hoping that you could boot linux, and then plugin your camera and
> see what the output of dmesg and /var/log/messages has to say.

Shouldn't linux print something in dmesg about the controllers?
Shouldn't there be man pages?

But who cares?  See below.

> > Anyway, due to a firmware bug I ended up having to power cycle
> > the machine.  (switched off at the P/S, so even 5V standby should
> > have been off)
> >
> > I was expecting the power cycle to completely reset the NEC board.
> > But it is not back to normal.  I no longer get the spewage from a
> > constant series of bus resets, but fwcontrol -R still doesn't work.
> >
> > fwcontrol_prev is from March, and used to do -R successfully.
> >
> > fwcontrol_prev -R /dv0/test_prev_camera.dv
> > Detected DV format on input.
> > (EAGAIN)
> > (EAGAIN)
> > (EAGAIN)
> >

> Is there any chance that you overwrote fwcontrol_prev with my patched
> version?

No.  The modification date is March 5th, which is when the very useful
-f option was added.  This version was used successfully used with -R
before I tried the recent modifications.

Today's mistake was forgetting to include the "-u 1", so it was looking
for DV from the VIA controller.  With -u 1 it is working fine.  So the
power cycle *did* fix it.  Whew!

So why does fwcontrol print "Detected DV format on input."
when there isn't even a device plugged into the bus?
Very misleading!