Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 08:56:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Mark J. Sommer" <msommer@argotsoft.com>
To:        kpielorz@tdx.co.uk (Karl Pielorz)
Cc:        freebsd@netsys.hn, oliva@dcc.unicamp.br, johnh@paradox.net.au, amanda-users@amanda.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Amrecover error message deciphered.

> FreeBSD Questions wrote:
>
> > tar: can't write to /dev/nrst0 : Input/output error
> > 9:37 mail: {102}
> >
> > In /var/log/messages:
> >
> > Jan 20 09:37:22 mail /kernel: st0(ahc0:1:0): Deferred Error: MEDIUM ERROR
> > info:2e000 asc:3b,0 Sequential positioning error
> > Jan 20 09:37:22 mail /kernel: st0(ahc0:1:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:200 asc:50,1
> > Write append position error
>
> OK, we're getting somewhere - it's not Amanda that's the problem, it's the
> drive / tape / scsi setup...
>
> Try another tape with the tar command (Medium error usually means what it says
> - theres a problem with your media, i.e. tape).
>
> If it still fails with another tape, try cleaning the heads on the drive... If
> that still fails - your drive has probably become faulty...
>
> If it's an HP your probably in luck, there warranty is usually pretty good...
>
> Let me know how you get on,
>
> Regards,
>
> Karl

Sorry to interject, but this may or may not be of use.  I've had a similar
problem in the past with a DAT drive.  It turned out to be the default density
code set for the device (/dev/nrst1.1).  Setting the density to 0x13 explicitly
fixed the medium errors for that DAT drive.  I don't thing the T2000 qualifies
as a DAT, but perhaps a similar problem is occurring here.  Any FreeBSD tape
driver folks know if there's any truth to this?

~Mark