Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:31:47 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Jason <blaz@satx.rr.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freaking charlie root

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 10:20:55PM -0600, Jason wrote:
> howdy,
>
> i take full responsibility for being root.  how can i redirect the log
> msgs from appearing
> in my xterms or console as root?  i want them just to show up in xterm
> -C, and not
> every other freaking terminal.  this has to be possible, and any help
> would be
> appreciated.

  $ man syslog.conf
    .
    .
    .
       The action field of each line specifies the action to be taken when the
       selector field selects a message.  There are five forms:
       .
       .
       .

     o   A comma separated list of users.  Selected messages are written to
         those users if they are logged in.

  $ grep root /etc/syslog.conf
  *.err                                           root
  *.notice;news.err                               root
  *.alert                                         root