Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:04:32 -0600
From:      "Zaitsau, Andrei" <AZaitsau@panasonicfa.com>
To:        'Odhiambo Washington' <wash@iconnect.co.ke>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Zaitsau, Andrei" <AZaitsau@panasonicfa.com>
Subject:   RE: mounting NTFS

Okay, thanks for all your help.
But still I did not get something.
How come FreeBSD see my Hard Drive as 'wd0' and at the same time 'ad0' (in
dmesg or fdisk)
Is it some kind of kernel issue? Can someone explain it to me please?
Let's say I have Hard drive with 2 partitions on it
First partition is FreeBSD (active)
Second one is NTFS (win2k)
So it looks like
ad0s1 is FreeBSD
ad1s1 is NTFS ?
Am I right or wrong ? does ad?(0 or 1) means partition number, and ad(?)s*
means slice on that partition (like ad0s1a, 1a is a slice on a partition 0
?)
Please help me out with understanding this :)
P.S. CC me please, since I am not on the list.
Thanks a lot.
Andrei.

* Zaitsau, Andrei <AZaitsau@panasonicfa.com> [20010116 18:27]: writing on
the subject 'mounting NTFS'
Zaitsau,> Hello Everyone,
Zaitsau,> I have a small question.
Zaitsau,> How do I mount Win2K NTFS partition to FreeBSD 4.2 ?
Zaitsau,> I recompiled my kernel with 'options		NTFS'
Zaitsau,> I tried as it said in a manpage
Zaitsau,> mount_ntfs /dev/wd1s1 /mnt
Zaitsau,> but it says device is not configured.
Zaitsau,> I tried other parameters about 30 times, still no success...
Zaitsau,> Any tips? Help? Anyone? Please ?
Zaitsau,> Thanks.

Here is mine --

wash:/usr/home/wash$ mount
/dev/ad0s2a on / (ufs, local)
/dev/ad0s2f on /usr (ufs, local)
/dev/ad0s2e on /var (ufs, local)
/dev/ad0s1 on /win (msdos, local)
/dev/ad1s1 on /win2k (ntfs, local, read-only)
/dev/rda1s1c on /2usr (ufs, local)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)

Either you do not have /dev/wd1s1 or your Windows Partition is not on
this particular slice you're referring to and you need to identify the
CORRECT slice.

_OR_ go to /dev and do sh MAKEDEV wd1s1 if it is not there.

A "sh MAKEDEV all" might be better..

I stand corrected if it is not this way.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Finally, in conclusion, let me say just this. -Peter Sellers
(contributed by Chris Johnston)