Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 17:13:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stephen Roome <steveroo@mothra.bri.hp.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -Stable on a Toshiba.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, ROGIER MULHUIJZEN wrote:
> Myself I have a Toshiba Tecra 8000, and the only trouble I had was with
> the soundcard. I had to go out and buy OSS to get it to work properly
> (but hey, OSS is pretty good IMHO). And since this sound chipset I have
> (Yamaha OPL-SAx3) and it's close relatives, have been in Toshiba
> notebooks for years, I'd say the 2610 will probably have it too. And
> don't believe what they say about SoundBlaster Pro compatible, cuz it
> ain't. ANY soundblaster pro driver will only do 8 bit sound.

This soundcard has worked with pcm0 since before 3.2-RELEASE, although I must
admit that mine is not in a laptop. Also I do have to use the synth volume
controls to change the CD volume. I've not actually tried this with -stable
yet, but it was never a big problem - although midi might be nice if OSS does
that.

[btw, I got about half way into trying to get the driver to understand the
mixer better a while back, but Yamaha never did send me the chipset specs they
promised so I spent my time at work instead =( ]

	Steve Roome

Hopefully that was of some use..