Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 19:20:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        joes@shasta.wstein.com (Joseph Stein)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User Quotas

> I see numerous references (Handbook, The Complete FreeBSD, etc) to the
> fact that quotas are "buggy" and should be used only sparingly.
>
> To what extent are quotas "buggy", what are the bugs, and are there any
> plans to correct them?

If the quota file is not on the FS to which the quotas are applied
and/or there is a user/group quota that applies to the quota file,
then you can deadlock.

To avoid this, you should use one of the "cookbooks" for correct
quota setup that have been posted to -current or -hackers over
the years.

Do not expect quotas to work properly over NFS; the lease management
code does not enforce distributed cache coherency correcly because
of missing assertions (see other discussions of NFS).  You can get
around this by forcing the use of NFSv2, which effectively disables
thes (and many other) optimizations.

> Where do I look if I want to tinker? (Obviously, the source code, but
> where are they implemented?)

Ideally, you would tinker with VFS stacking.  The best way to
implement quotas is to implement them as a stacking layer, so that
they can apply to all FS's.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---