Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 12:46:05 +0200
From:      Andres Vega Garcia <Andres.Vega_Garcia@sophia.inria.fr>
To:        Mister Flash <flash@eru.tubank.msk.su>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with 3Com/EISA

: Mister Flash <flash@eru.tubank.msk.su> wrote:

>	Hello,
>Can you take a glance at my problem with 3Com ?
>As you were listed as one who contributed code to FreeBSD release of
>the 3Com driver may be you may help me ?
>
>The problem is:
>
>EISA 3C579 board, Compaq Prosignia/300 comp., pentium 90MHz.
>The board don't want to work with 32bit access,

	What you mean by `don't want to work with 32bit acces'?, does it
mean that the card just does not go through the 32bits code
(read/write)?, or does it mean  it just doesn't work or makes core
dump?

	Well, if what you mean is the first case, there is a little bug that
I don't know if has been propagated, look at if_ep.c at the epprobe()
function, around line 341 you have:

    if (BASE >= EP_EISA_START) /* we have an EISA board, we allow 32
bits access */
	sc->stat = F_ACCESS_32_BITS;
    else
	sc->stat = 0;

The time we come here BASE has't been initialized yet.

The correct thing to have is:

    if (IS_BASE >= EP_EISA_START) /* we have an EISA board, we allow
32 bits access */
	sc->stat = F_ACCESS_32_BITS;
    else
	sc->stat = 0;

	Let me know if that solves your problem.

>changing the if_ep.c driver
>not to use outsl, but outsw instead solves the thing.
>We also tried this on another (not Compaq) machine -- no luck.
>Can you tell me what configurations you tested this driver with

	When I did modifiactions to that driver, I was able to test that
only in ISA (3c509).

>and
>what may be the problem's solution ?
>Just want to have 32-bit of it ;( .