Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:45:24 -0400
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network performance roadmap.

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 01:14:07PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> I would suggest that 2 * the current window may be too small
> because the window might be increasing and
> reception of one ack might move the window up by
> the entire transmitted window size, resulting in starvation
> if the waiting data can be sent quickly. therefore I suggest a few
> modifying factors:

Actually, I doubt 2 * cwin would be too small, and here's my
rational:

* The majority of the "large increases" should be during slow start.
  These values should all be below the minimum buffer size, so there
  is no thrashing.  Note, this requires a good minimum buffer size.

* When dealing with large bandwidth*delay number (say, a 1 meg
  cross country 100Mbps path) we don't really want to buffer 3 meg,
  rather than 2 meg.  In fact, I could question if we really want
  2 meg, but it's an ok compromise for now.

--
Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440