Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 16:55:41 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        kris@freebsd.org (Kris Kennaway)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami), obrien@freebsd.org, nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams), arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

> On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > The problem is not that "csh" scripts from other systems won't run
> > on "tcsh", the problem is that if someone naievely writes code
> > thinking that the result will then run on some other box, when in
> > fact it will not, because that boxes "csh" has not be replaced
> > with "tcsh".
>
> So you wouldn't object to leaving csh as csh, importing tcsh and making it
> the default shell for root?

IFF it's statically linked, -OR- we go dynamic linking for everything
because we realize that a single file zap will shoot us in the foot,
and we are no more vulnerable to ld.so or libc.so dying than /bin/sh,
THEN no, I would not object to this.

> The perception of new users is really a very big factor here - people who
> spend any time listening to newbie comments (as opposed to just talking
> about their 20-year old UNIX habits and how they're too old to change)
> will know how much we Lose here when they're used to a system (Linux) with
> a "friendly" default shell.

New users should not be logging in as root.  It even says so when
they login as root.  A user can select tcsh as their account shell,
and then use "su -m" instead of "su", of course.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.