Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:47:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Scott M. Lewandowski" <sml_freebsd_questions@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Minimum filesystem block size

Scott M. Lewandowski <sml_freebsd_questions@hotmail.com> types:
> I am thinking of deploying qmail to take advantage of the Maildir format
> that it offers. However, it seems like this will be very wasteful of space.
> According to the newfs man page, the minimum disk block size is 4096 bytes.
> Since Maildir stores each new mail message, as well as all archived mail
> messages, as separate files, this means that each email will take up 4K of
> disk space, even though my average mail message is only ~1K. Is this
> correct, or am I missing something? Is there any way to use a smaller block
> size on a new filesystem?

You're missing fragments in the file system. Any partial blocks in a
file are stored in fragments, not blocks, and fragments are shared
amongst files. I always use the default (1k), but it can be as low as
512 bytes (with 4K blocks). Reread the newfs man page for details.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.