Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 1998 11:32:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        dh@enter.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with tunneling.....

>  I can successfully build a PPTP tunnel if I
>  do a straight dial-up from the windoze boxes into any of our terminal
>  servers. However, if I attempt to tunnel through the FreeBSD box, it gets
>  past verifying username and password, and then errors out with "network not
>  responding". It appears PPP is not passing mickysoft's GRE protocol 47, as
>  in the tcpdump below as the connection is made:

user PPP does not pass many protocol types especially through the aliasing
code. Since I wanted to run a multicast router on the local PPP gateway,
I had to bypass the aliasing code for the IGMP and IPIP tunnel packets. see:
	ftp://ftp.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/pub/freebsd/misc/pppp_igmp.diff

you want to tunnel out the IPPROTO_GRE packets through the aliasing code,
so you will also need to add to the aliasing section, which I did not need
to do.

good luck.

--mark.