Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:58:30 -0800
From:      "Derrick Ryalls" <ryallsd@datasphereweb.com>
To:        "'somatic'" <somatic@phreaker.net>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: good sound card and video card for a FreeBSD setup

> Hi,
> I'm in the process of buying a new pc and was wondering what
> would be a good sound card and a video card that i could use
> with FreeBSD.Do the RivaTNT or GEForce chipsets work well
> with freebsd.I ask this question 'cos i want both the cards
> to be as compatible and as easy to install as possible.I'll
> also be running windows as an alternate OS.

Video:

GeForce is good, check www.nvidia.com for the latest driver and to verify
that the driver will work with the target video card.  Also check xfree86's
website for their list of supported cards/chipsets, that is what matters if
the manufacturer hasn't provided a driver.

Sound:

I got a Game Theater XP working soundwise, but couldn't get full
functionality.  Going with 5.x current, I was able to get an Audigy card
working nicely (with mic support).