Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 23:48:01 -0300 (EST)
From:      Pedro A M Vazquez <vazquez@IQM.Unicamp.BR>
To:        Stefan.Bethke@Hanse.DE (Stefan Bethke)
Cc:        wosch@apfel.de, jkh@time.cdrom.com, www@FreeBSD.ORG, cracauer@FreeBSD.ORG, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: Speaking about the countries menu - ahem ahem! ;)

Stefan Bethke was saying that:

> If the intent is that any http://www.XX.freebsd.org/ URL is an (almost)
> up-to-date copy of http://www.freebsd.org/, then some 'mirrors' miss that
> goal (i.e. www.br.freebsd.org).

This is the second time someone points www.br as a "bad" mirror.

Ok, it is not a xerox from www, it is intended to help brazilians,not
english tongue native to read something about fbsd. This is not a secret and
never was since 1995.

I never hiden this from anyone and I believe all COM.BR can reach
www.freebsd.org faster than can they reach www.br or www2.br because
they have a 10M access to USA and a 2M from com.br to edu.br where
www.br, www2.br and www3.br are located. But they prefer www.br because
they have a user group and a list in portuguese.
I can send you stats showing this, and I can send stats showing lots of
.com and .edu accessing here too.

If all you want is a lot of stupid com.br using linux because
they don't read english, go on.

If all you want is a xerox tell me too, I'm running www-www2 and ftp-ftp6
on *voluntary* sponsored (that is, I'm and others pay the whole costs)
machines only for those stupid com.br brazilians that still speaks portuguese
and believes FreeBSD can have, like linux, some pages in their native
tongue. We have positive results doing so (does it matter?).

I've tried to follow what you're doing but many times you changed things
(e.g. from sup to rsync) without telling those on www-hubs. I lost
the internat.freebsd many times and I'm hand-mirroring them because

	1) You trusted me as a mirror and I take you as serious as I believe
	you take me;
	2) I never got an answer from them when I was having serious
	connection problems.
	3) I don't mind what the heck they're running now, ctm, cvsup,rsyncd
	csvup or all at the same time for selected sites, I can't get anything
	other than a stupid perl mirror from there each time a new version
	(2.1.x., 2.2.x) cames up from ftp.cdrom.com.

If you're unsatisfied with a FreeBSD presence in another country that
does not xerox yours please tell me and I'll shutdown all www and ftp
mirrors in Brazil today.

Sure, I'm not joking about this, br.freebsd was the 2nd or 3rd mirror
outside USA in 2.0 or 2.0.5 times (jordan will remember this if he feels
apropriate, many more will do the same), it has never changed WRT having
portuguese pages and till 2 weeks ago was so good as many many 404 mirrors.

Now you choose my mirrors as the bad guys, please, they were up
and available more than most of the US mirrors of wwwX.freebsd.org or
ftpX.freebsd.org, and this you can't deny. I really take this seriously.

If you're planning to use a perl script to testify my work you must,
at least, have a look before, I don't know of any other country whith
a "national" Chuck like us.

If all you need is a black lamb  "village idiot" please tell me, I'll
give up on this.

Pedro