Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:47:38 -0500
From:      "Stephanie Bridges" <sbridges@iastate.edu>
To:        "'Ashley Moran'" <work@ashleymoran.me.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Is Active Directory integrated file sharing possible on FreeBSD?

Ashley Moran wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2006, at 12:51, Bob M. wrote:
>
>> It's absolutely possible Ashley.  We have samba 2.x running on a few
>> solaris 8 through 10 servers, one might be 3.x.  One of our solaris
>> admins made the mistake of making one of them a domain controller and
>> it was authenticating users in an AD domain.  I've run samba at home
>> on various releases of FreeBSD over the past few years. You're just
>> looking to setup file shares with permissions, right?
>>
>> Bob
>

> Hi Bob
>
> Yep, all we need is a file server.  We want folders in
> /var/share available to users in Active Directory, eg
> /var/share/ashleymoran for just me, and maybe a shared one
> for the office or the design team etc.  Nothing complicated really.
>
> Our network admin said winbindd is broken on FreeBSD so he tried
> compiling the Solaris version(!) but couldn't make that work.
> Unfortunately he's beeyessdeephobic, but I want to avoid
> looking into it myself because, well, it's not my job :)  If
> I have no choice, do you think it will take long to learn how
> to set it up?  I don't want to lose a whole day to it.

Ashley,

This is quite doable, and winbindd isn't broken on FreeBSD.  It took me a
bit to figure out how to make it work correctly, however.  I have a FBSD
system here that authenticates to our university AD server, and allows
access based upon membership in certain security groups.  We don't have
any services for unix support on our AD server either.  If your linux boy
needs a little help, I'd be happy to send you my config files, sounds like
maybe he hasn't actually done it on linux either as my FreeBSD/Linux
setups are nearly identical.

Stephanie Bridges
Economics Department -- Iowa State University
80B Heady Hall, Ames, IA  50011
ph: 515.294.8732 ~~ fax: 515.294.0221
http://www.econ.iastate.edu