Date:      Sat, 07 Apr 2001 09:59:34 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        dan@langille.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Phillip" <phillip@accessunited.com.au>, "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fwd: URGENT: Serious bug in IPFilter

In message <200104062143.f36LhNe42316@ns1.unixathome.org>, "Dan
Langille" write
s:
> On 7 Apr 2001, at 7:23, Phillip wrote:
>
> > In the last few hours, the author of IPF issued this notice with some patch
> es
> > for a bug. I didn't include the patch because it looks as though its been
> > revised. But depending on the state of play with the timetable for
> > 4.3-RELEASE, it may be possible to include the updated version in
> > a later version of -RELEASE or -STABLE.
>
> Darren Reed has committed the changes to -current (see
> 200104061552.f36FqTf87523@freefall.freebsd.org).  I've already asked
> Darren via cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org and cvs-all@FreeBSD.org if it
> can be MFC'd before 4.3-RELEASE.
>
> Darren's original post and the fragment patches area available at
> http://false.net/ipfilter/2001_04/0087.html.
>
> I too would like to them  MFC'd.  Failing that, I'm trying to confirm the
> patch instructions via the ipfilter mailing list.

If they're not MFC'd by the time 4.3 is released, IMO 4.3 would be
shipped with a serious security flaw.

Jordan, would you please consider approving the MFC of the IP Filter
security patches?

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC