Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:37:51 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Siddharth Prakash Singh <spsneo@gmail.com>
Cc:        Jordan Gordeev <jgordeev@dir.bg>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Google SoC 2009 Idea

Quoting Siddharth Prakash Singh <spsneo@gmail.com> (from Wed, 25 Feb =20
2009 07:13:05 +0530):

> Yeah I sent the same proposal to all the *BSD mailing list, because I
> am interested in doing this project . What's wrong in proposing the
> same project in all the *BSD organizations?

As one of the FreeBSD mentors for some GSoC's in the past: nothing is =20
wrong with proposing the same project to several *BSD projects, that's =20
not unusual and happened in the past several times.

What's not so nice is to propose something without looking at the =20
existing features in this area. It's not just saying "I want to do =20
something like this". When you submit your proposal to Google, we =20
expect that you looked at the corresponding code and at least know =20
most of the features. You are not supposed to know each line of code =20
or to understand each line of code, but you should know what is there, =20
and what you need to do until your goal is achieved.

For example in one of the past GSoC's proposals told that in the XYZ =20
subsystem A, B and C "is missing". They contained a timeframe which =20
explained how much time the student expects until each feature is =20
implemented. For some stuff (API compatibility) even a list of missing =20
functions was presented.

You have to understand that in the past we got between 10 and 20 =20
students during the GSoC. For those 10-20 slots there where more than =20
100 proposals (more in the range of 200-300). Those proposals where =20
filtered by Google, so we've seen only those, which where not =20
immediately rejected by Google because of lack of content. Those =20
proposals have to be rated by the FreeBSD committers which are willing =20
to mentor students, and they do this based upon several checkpoints. =20
We look at the proposal and look if it is actually possible to do what =20
is proposed. Not only in general, also during the timeframe of the =20
GSoC and by a student. It is also not important that all features are =20
completed, so if we think that the student is able to e.g. handle 80% =20
of what he proposes and if we also think that this is ok for us, then =20
we give some points to the proposal. This means that the student has =20
to show that he understands what he is talking about and that he has =20
also some insight into what he has to do and some expectation how long =20
it takes.

In the end the proposals with the most points (and someone willing to =20
mentor this project) are taken. So the better the proposal is, more =20
likely it will be that the proposal is accepted.

When you look at the FreeBSD ideas page, you see the bare minimum what =20
information needs to be in the proposal (nobody needs to write the =20
required skills in a proposal). When we see a proposal which is just a =20
copy of what we have on the ideas page, it will not get that much =20
points, as it doesn't show if the students really understands what he =20
is proposing.

Bye,
Alexander.