Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 14:21:24 -0400
From:      "Matt Thomas" <cdt4668@bellsouth.net>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Kernel traps (was: FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE is about as stable as windows98)

Hey Greg, this was the error that I was recieving..

Fatal Trap 12: Page Fault While In Kernel Mode
Fault Virtual Address                   =0x8
Fault Code                              =Supervisor Read, Page Not Present
Instruction Pointer                     =0x8:;0xc018c370
Stack Pointer                           =0x10:0xxc470ee3c
Frame Pointer                           =0x10:0xc470ee44
Code Segment                            =Base 0x0, Limit 0xfffff,Type 0x1b
Processor Eflags                        =Interrupt Enabled,Resume,IOPL=0
Current Process                         =171 (Ping)
Interrupt Mask                          =
Trap Number                             =12
Panic:Page Fault

One gentleman just explained that it is a problem with DMA and the VIA
chipset.  The motherboard that I was using was a VIA chipset motherboard so
this makes complete sense to me.  I have moved the box to a different
motherboard/processor and all seems well so far.  I assume the problem does
lie in the VIA chipset.  I'm just gonna go get a new mboard to bring my
server back up to a faster processor.  Thank you everyone for the help that
I have recieved in determing that this was a hardware related issue.  Sounds
like the problem is aware of and is being worked on, but for the time being
I'm still gonna chuck this VIA motherboard out the door.  Thanks everyone..

Matthew Thomas