Date:      Tue, 03 Jul 2001 19:47:30 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Peter Brezny <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: background jobs

Peter Brezny schrieb:

> I sent a job into the background, logged off from the machine, logged back
> in, and now typing fg or bg tells me there are no jobs in the background,
> yet, i know they are running since I can see them with top.
>
> How can I access those jobs again?

You cannot. When you log out, _all_ jobs started from an interactive
shell (i.e., by you) will be stopped and terminated. To have jobs run
while logged out, either start them with the at command, or use the
nohup command.

screen (from the ports) is an utility which lets you remain logged in,
but disconnect from the terminal and reconnect later.

HTH
-CHristoph Sold