Date:      21 Oct 1999 02:48:53 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hard Disk Error on FreeBSD-3.3 PLEASE HELP

Joss Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com> writes:

> > badsect(8) might even work, although I'd
> > be suspicious on an
> > IDE disk.
>
> I am not sure what you mean for the moment, have
> not read the man pages yet, but may be you mean
> badsect is for scsi disks ??

Some newer IDE disks are in the habbit of "remapping" bad sectors, and if this
is the case with your disk, badsect might actually mess things up instead of
fixing them.  I think that is what was meant.  It has happened to me once, not
with FreeBSD but with Linux that I used until a couple of months ago.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]