Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 21:13:43 -0100
From:      Darius Moos <moos@degnet.baynet.de>
To:        moos@degnet.baynet.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD-questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Is this network possible with FreeBSD ???

Rehi,

to all who remember my original mail concerning the bogus network.
First of all ... i have faild to get it running in it's all
functionality.
Now, more IMPORTANT, i want to thank all the persons that replied to
my mail.
Thanks for their time and effort, help and suggestions go to:
- Daniel O'Callaghan
- Gary Palmer
- Joe Greco
- Mathias Pantzare
- Michael Smith
- Narvi
- Olivier Robert
- Pedro Giffuni
- Richard Wackerbarth
- Thinker Li

Thank you all.
Now why did i fail to manage the bogus network:
I could not figure out how to configure the ed0_a device appropriately
for the given situation.
I've tried it the following ways:
1. FreeBSD: ifconfig ed0_a inet 1.2.3.253
   The ISPA-router was configured to push all packets for 1.2.3.253
   in direction ed0_b with ed0_b == 1.2.3.36
The problem:
   The FreeBSD-box did not find the other boxes in the 1.2.3.-net
   because for packets to 1.2.3.x it was broadcasting on the
   ed0_a-ethernet-device and there was not response (i think this
   is what happend but i could be wrong).
   The solutions would have been:
   packet from |___ ed0_a |____ ed0_b |____ isdn |____ 1.2.3.x-box
   FreeBSD-box |          |           |          |
   to 1.2.3.x  |

2. FreeBSD: ifconfig ed0_a inet 192.168.3.1
            ifconfig ed0_b inet 1.2.3.253 netmask 0xffffffff alias
   ISPA-router: ed0_b was configured to 192.168.3.103 and further
                to push all packets for 1.2.3.253 to the FreeBSD-box
                via ed0_b.
The problem:
   Packets, adressed to internet had an IP-src-adr. of 192.168.3.1 and
   and did not return to the FreeBSD-box.
   I do not know what a solution could look like.

3. FreeBSD: ifconfig ed0_a inet 192.168.3.1
            ifconfig ed0_b inet 1.2.3.253 netmask 0xffffffff alias
   ISPA-router: ed0_b was configured to 192.168.3.103 and
                ed0_b was configured to 1.2.3.36 and further
                to push all packets for 1.2.3.253 to the FreeBSD-box
                via ed0_b.
The problem:
   Packets, adressed to internet had an IP-src-adr. of 192.168.3.1 and
   and did not return to the FreeBSD-box.
   I do not know what a solution could look like.

Now the boss of the company decided to crash FreeBSD and to reinstall
Linux, because linux could handle this bogus network as a gateway :(

I am a little bit disappointed that i've failed to solve this problem
and that linux will now be installed instead of FreeBSD, but ...
 ... SHIT happens sometimes.
Hope there will be a new customer next days, that wants a gateway and
does not have such a bogus network-topology.

Darius Moos.

Here my original mail for those that does not remember any more

--

email: moos@degnet.baynet.de