Date:      Sun, 14 May 2006 16:44:38 +0200
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Coleman Kane <cokane@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: Standardize and improve the PKGNAMESUFFIX handling in all ports

--=-VWQqp1gDUL82fFpukpWP

Coleman Kane p=ED=B9e v p=E1 12. 05. 2006 v 18:44 +0000:
> Hello all,
>=20
> During some discussion, the existence of two problems in ports
> arose today surrounding handling of PKGNAMESUFFIX in the ports collection=
.
>=20
> First of all, the ability for it to handle multiple suffixes is broken
> in many ports, and not intuitive to accomplish, and the declaration of
> such option is not standard.
> Currently, if you have a port that has a toggle to reflect in the package
> name, you use "packagename+toggle-versioninfo". In many ports, this is=20
> accomplished via:
> PKGNAMESUFFIX=3D	+toggle
>=20
> If you want to add more than one toggle, you'd do:
> PKGNAMESUFFIX:=3D"${PACKAGENAMESUFFIX}+toggle1"
> PKGNAMESUFFIX:=3D"${PACKAGENAMESUFFIX}+toggle2"
>=20
> To get 'packagename+toggle1+toggle2-versioninfo'.
>=20
> Unfortunately, this is not done in many ports (such as ruby18), and the
> nomenclature swaps plus and hyphen for the 'toggle separator'.
>=20
> I propose that we do this:
>       Add to line 1199 of ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk
> _JOINEDPKGNAMESUFFIX?=3D
> .for _PKGNAMESUFFIXCOMPONENT in ${PKGNAMESUFFIX:O:u}
>   _JOINEDPKGNAMESUFFIX:=3D"${_JOINEDPKGNAMESUFFIX}+${_PKGNAMESUFFIXCOMPON=
ENT}"
> .endfor
>=20
> Change line 1207:
> PKGNAME=3D    ${PKGNAMEPREFIX}${PORTNAME}${_JOINEDPKGNAMESUFFIX}-${PORTVE=
RSION:C/[-_,]/./g}${_SUF1}${_SUF2}
>=20
> Change line 2620:
> PKGBASE?=3D           ${PKGNAMEPREFIX}${PORTNAME}${_JOINEDPKGNAMESUFFIX}
>=20
> And then, rather than literally specifying the PKGNAMESUFFIX, you would d=
o this:
> PKGNAMESUFFIX+=3D	toggle1
> PKGNAMESUFFIX+=3D	toggle2
>=20
> Which is far more intuitive and more readable.
>=20
> And the addition at line 1199, specified above, would automagically add t=
he
> + delimiters, order the toggles alphabetically, and weed out the duplicat=
es.
>=20
> This could be one more step toward a more manageable package infrastructu=
re.
>=20
> As I said, this is an RFC so give me comments!

Looks good.

--=20
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>

25 And the Lord spoke unto the Angel that guarded the eastern gate, saying,
   Where is the flaming sword which was given unto thee?
26 And the Angel said, I had here only a moment ago, I must have put it dow=
   some where, forget my own head next.
27 And the Lord did not ask him again.

--=-VWQqp1gDUL82fFpukpWP
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_podepsan=E1?= =?iso-8859-2?Q?_=E8=E1st?=
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_zpr=E1vy?=

--=-VWQqp1gDUL82fFpukpWP--