Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:56:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
Cc:        Jason Halbert <res02jw5@gte.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP only user

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Nathan Vidican wrote:

> > I need to create a user that has very restricted access to the system.
> > I need to allow access to my ftp to a lot of people but these people
> > don't need access to telnet or ssh or any other service on my box.  I
> > would like to limit the user that way, as well as another way.  I
> > would also like to limit the user in what they can see.  Is it
> > possible to not allow the user to cd out of its home directory?  I
> > don't want them seeing anything outside of that dir if possible.
> >
>    As far as limiting the users from being able to telnet/ssh,
> unfortunately, (as far as I know anyhow), a user must have a valid
> shell in order for ftpd to authenticate said user. I usually just their
> login scripts and make them so the user cannot change them so as to log
> them out immediately if they attempt telnet/rlogin/ssh logins.

Give them /usr/bin/false for a shell and make sure it's listed in
/etc/shells.

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
System Administrator                         Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/