Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 22:28:43 -0500
From:      Patrick Whalen <patrickwhalen@mac.com>
To:        "Charles Pelletier" <fozekizer@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIC

Thanks for the reply. If there is a more appropriate place for this
type of question, please let me know.

The google search just turned up various copies of the Hardware Release
Notes for freebsd.

I found this document linked to aue(4) when going the Hardware Notes:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/
man.cgi?query=aue&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+4.6-RELEASE

This document says that the driver is for a USB ethernet adapters. Mine
is a pci card with an RJ-45 port. Any idea why this would be?

I did find a driver download from speedstream.com, but I would not know
how to determine which is the correct driver for FreeBSD. Furthermore,
I would not know where or how to install it.

Working with unix, will I typically find drivers supplied by a hardware
manufacturer, or are they more often built by other means?

Thanks for your help.

patrick