Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:03:52 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Losing the battle with RC1

For the past few days I have been trying to get RC1 running on my old
laptop (IBM ThinkPad 600E). The installation worked pretty well, but
the system crashes frequently when acpi is running.

I decided to get a dump to look at and added the following to my
rc.conf:
dumpdev="/dev/ad0s2b"
dumpdir="/scratch"

ad0s2 IS my swap partition. I don't think the /scratch directory is
relevant as I never get to the savecore.

After I re-boot, the system boots just fine and soon I get the acpi
crash. At that point I need to enter "continue" several times at the
db> prompt before the system finally dumps.

When I try to reboot, the system starts to boot normally until it
tries to mount the root file system. IT then reports that it can't
mount the system and asks for the manual entry of the root fs.

I tried booting the fixit disk and looking at the disk. fsck_ffs
reports that the super block is bad and that values disagree with
those in the first alternate. Continuing produces many, many errors.

When I try to mount the partition, I get "Operation not
permitted". Attempts to boot the disk now fail completely and I am
back to re-installing the system.

This all seems to be linked to the dump. If I don't have the system
configured to dump, it re-boots just fine.

Any idea of what might be happening here? Not being able to get a dump
doesn't leave me with many options and I'm getting tired of
re-installing the system, although I'm getting pretty proficient at it.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)