Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:12:31 +0100
From:      Peter Wood <peter@alastria.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel 82572GI PCIe question

Heya,

> Has anyone had experience playing with the 82572GI PCIe cards under FreeBSD?

Yes I have a couple of servers with PRO/1000 PF Server adapters which
use the 82572GI controller. Granted mine are 1000Base-SX, but I've never
seen an issue on 6.2-STABLE.

You appear to be talking about copper switches (I guess), it wouldn't
suprise me if it's something to do with tollerances/timing in the NICs
vs switches.

We've just had an interesting issue with HP ProCurve switches and an
Agilent N2X packet generator. One some switches you'll get full 1000mbs
accross two gig ports, on other you'll get about 100mbs (constant).

We put two cheap Dell bge NIC driven laptops accross the same ports on a
switch that was limited with the Agilent and we got near 1000mbs. It
looked like the N2X was being to accurate with it's timing.

Meh... anacdotal evidence at best, but I can say that on 6.2 I've had no
issues.

Pete.
--
Peter Wood <peter@alastria.net>