Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 17:00:45 -0700
From:      "D.M.P." <dmp@aracnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sysinstall hanging during from-scratch install

Sysinstall hanging during from-scratch install.

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 3.2-R onto an NCR Class 3230, Model
6020 computer, but sysinstall keeps hanging during the commit stage.

I boot from the floppies, get through the kernel config and load and
land at sysinstall.  Partition the disk, select packages (bin,
manpages, and kernel source), tell it to install from the chosen
media, then commit.  The install screen shows it doing the newfs's
and copying the first bits to disk, then it goes to start loading the
BIN package and hangs with the status line showing:

1024 bytes read from bin dist, chunk  1 of 106 @ 1.0KB/sec.

I can switch screens, scroll back, and type at the emergency shell,
however I don't get any response to the commands I type.  After the
machine hangs, the CPU heats up rapidly, like it does when you're
making a kernel.

I just tried installing from the following media: floppy, local
CD-ROM, a DOS partition on a second HD, from a freebsd.org FTP (tried
five different servers), from my LAN's FTP with the CD mounted and
linked to /ftp/pub/cdrom, and from my LAN's FTP with the pkg's in
/ftp/pub/freebsd/{bin|manpages|src}.

Each time the install fails at the same point, right when it's going
to start installing the bin package.  Sysinstall fails with or
without the overdrive processor.  I'd thought about it being a
problem with the memory, but based on the kernel boot messages, the
stock 4MB isn't enough to boot.  (see below)

I would really like to get this to work, anyone have any experience
with these systems, or know of anything I should check, test, or try?

Thanks in advance.

System info:

NCR Class 3230 Model 6020.  Stock specs are LPX case w/ 3xISA
riser, onboard Intel 486SX-33, 4MB RAM (4x1MB 3-chip 70ns), 1.44MB
floppy, 240MB Conner HD (CP30254), UMC 82C481BF/2AF chipset, onboard
Cirrus Logic GD5426 video, and onboard 2xserial, parllel, and PS/2
mouse.  Based on the additional specs I got from NCR, I dropped an
Intel 486DX-33 chip into the Overdrive socket, upgraded the RAM to
8MB (8x1MB 9-chip 70ns), and added a pair of 3x509 cards.  The system
runs DOS 5.0/Win3.1 and Windows 95 (slowly) without problems.

Last output from the "vty1" debug screen:

<lots of cpio messages about /mnt/stand and /mnt/etc>
2558 blocks
/mnt/etc
/mnt/etc/defaults
/mnt/etc/defaults/rc.conf
/mnt/etc/protocols
/mnt/etc/services
26 blocks
DEBUG: Generating /etc/fstab file
DEBUG: Init floppy called for some distribution

kernel boot messages (hand-copied from scroll-back):

avail memory - 2416640 (2360K bytes)
Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xc05f7000.
Preloaded mfs_root "/mfsroot" at 0xc05f709c.
Probing for PnP devices:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: TCM5090 [ox90506d50] Serial 0xafea37b2 Comp ID:
@@@0000 [0x0000
0000]
CSN 1 Vendor ID: TCM5090 [ox90506d50] Serial 0xaf81afbc Comp ID:
@@@0000 [0x0000
0000]
Proding for devices on the ISA bus:
sc0 on isa
sc0: VGA color, <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
atkbdc0 at 0x60-0x6f on motherboard
atkbdc0 irq 1 on isa
psm0 not found
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa
sio0: type 16450
si01 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16450
fdc0 at 0x3f0=0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
fdc: FIFO enanled, 8 bytes threshold
fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in
wdc0 at 0x1f0=0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <Conner Peripherals 240MB - CP30254>
wd0: 240MB (492250 sectors0, 895 cyls, 10 heads, 55 S/T, 512 B/S
ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 flags 0x40 on isa
ppc0: SMC-like chipset (ECP/EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
lpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus 0
lpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
2 3c5x9 board(s) on ISA found at 0x300 0x350
ep0 at 0x300-0x30f irq 5 on isa
ep0: aui/utp[*UTP*] address 00:20:af:81:af:bc
vga0 at 0x3b0-0x3df maddr 0xa0000 msize 131072 on isa
npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
changing root device to fd0c
rootfs is 2880 Kbyte campiled in MFS
/stand/sysinstall running as init on vty0

--
"Nothing is more noble, nothing more venerable than fidelity.  Truth
and faithfulness are the most sacred excellences and endowments of