Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:01:08 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dave Carmean <dlc@silcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (long) Simult. 2.2.5 --> 3.1 upgrade and SCSI disk swap

On Wednesday, 16 June 1999 at 18:11:46 -0700, Dave Carmean wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've been having some trouble trying to upgrade my old 2.2.5 system
> to 3.1, and am looking for tips.
>
> The system is a 1996-vintage P5-150, with win95 on the two IDE drives,
> and FreeBSD 2.2.5 on sd0.  I didn't install a boot manager, and my
> BIOS (AMI) doesn't speak SCSI, so I boot to FreeBSD from a floppy.
>
> 1/2 of sd0 is FreeBSD, the other is a Win95 compressed volume.  This
> drive is now full, besides being flaky, so my idea was to dup my
> FreeBSD install onto a new, larger SCSI disk, and then upgrade on
> that copy.  Of course, since it's a different geometry, I can't
> just dd the whole thing.

You'd probably be better off installing from scratch on the new disk,
as you did after running into problems.

> Problem is: I labeled the new disk, mounted it, and used tar through
> a pipe to copy /, /var, and /usr over.  It booted fine from the new
> disk, but the (Cheapbytes) 3.1 sysinstall upgrade did not see this disk!

Where doesn't it find it?  It should find the drive in the partition
editor.

I don't know if this is a problem with the Cheapbytes disk.  You could
try downloading a boot floppy from ftp.FreeBSD.org and see if the same
thing happens there.

> Is this because of the SCSI device nomenclature change, sd --> da ?

Not if it's failing in the partition editor.

> After that failure, I did a fresh basic (Novice) 3.1 install to the
> new drive, hoping to use tar or dd to then copy the old system and try
> the upgrade again.  But I can't directly get to rsd1s1{a,e,f,g} from
> 2.2.5 now, because of the new device naming.

So use the new names (/dev/rda1s1a, etc.).  That's not a problem.

> So I'm using dd and hd to look at the bits and figure out if I can use
> skip and seek offsets with dd to perform the copy, but when I think
> about it, there's /got/ to be a better/easier way.
>
> What did I miss?
>
> Thanks.
>
> P.S.: of what use is scsiformat(8) in this scenario?

None.  You don't need it, and it's obsolete and doesn't work under
3.1.  Read the camcontrol(8) man page for instructions on how to
format with 3.1.

> When starting over, particularly to examine the bits directly, I
> just did a 'dd if=/dev/zero \ of=/dev/rsd1' to clobber the thing.
> scsiformat(8) operates at a lower level than this, does it not?

Correct.  You only need it if you have unreadable sectors on your
disk, and nowadays that means it's probably dying anyway.

Greg