Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 12:10:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading cleanly and quickly

I looked thru the list archives and all I can find are questions on how,
but no answers on how to cleanly upgrade an existing system.

I have machines from 2.0.5 thru 2.2.2 that I would like to upgrade to
2.2.5.

Would I just copy out my /etc dir struct contents, use the boot flop, pick
upgrade, and then move /etc/stuff back where needed?  Or does it not trash
/etc stuff?

Are there other areas I would need to save out such as /sbin etc where I
put my own binaries or does it not whipe, but copy over things instead?

Has anyone hit any easy to fall into boners I should watch out for?

Any and all input is appreciated!